Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Parent Interviews...

Sent the small ones to bed - and read a bit of Tolkien to the 1st, 2nd and 5th graders. I am a die hard Tolkien fan and my children feel very deprived that I will not allow them to watch the movies. {Although while I was away over a year ago my mother allowed them to watch the first DVD of the first movie - RING WRATHS and ALL! I was, am, most displeased.} I told them that Tolkien is classic, that they need to hear first and then see, and finally play {We are ALL EA Games addicts in this house, fans of Command and Conquer and the Lord of the Rings games as well} in that order or they will miss the depth. To this day people quote Tolkien all the time. "All who wander are not lost" is part of a poem about Aragorn or Strider - there are beautiful passages about death, life, and I'll butcher it but "we do not choose the times; but it is ours to choose what we will do with the time we are given" or something like that... not that they'll get it the first go round but maybe if I'm lucky they will read it again when they are older.

And I've painted my nails "call my m-agent-a" red by OPI. Although if I had an agent would I be painting my own nails???

And had my tea - and now I'm off to finish this application for this private school for my son. And tomorrow at 9 AM I have a parent interview with the school principal. Do you think she'll be impressed by my nice pretty red nails? Not likely I know. What do they ask in parent interviews? Is it like college? Why should we allow you to come to our school? Well, the child is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. He could put together BRIO train tracks when he was two. He randomly spelt "HERSHEY" from a chocolate bar while at a playdate when he was not quite three. He can read anything. He comprehends everything. And he is so immature and insecure it kills me. So please, would it help if I got on my knees? I'm begging you, let him go to school here, where there are a whopping ten kids in the class rooms - in theory - the parents value education that is why they are paying for it - and the studies show that persons with a higher regard for education are less likely to be racist and more likely to expect their children to be tolerant. And on top of that some how - who knows HOW - 40% of the student body is adopted. That makes him NORMAL! Do you know what that could mean for him?

So off I go - to fill out my paper work and plan my outfit - and make sure my morning goes well so I can ace my interview and get him into this school. And then, after that, we've got to figure out how to pay for it. But I'll think about that tomorrow...

No comments: