Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Teachers

My mother in law is a teacher. So is a certain Mr. A who thinks he runs our church. I notice that they both speak to me with the same pattern. They are aloof, "Oh hi, How can I help you," or "What can I do for you" kind of greeting on the phone (I mean hello my mother in law identifies her self when she calls me and I don't reply with a polite version of "what do you want" I figure she'll get to that on her own) and when they do want me to do something they ask very politely. Usually it is a message on my answering machine because I rarely answer the phone (that isn't just them, I rarely answer it period.) and so I think it over. But if I don't think it over fast enough they call back with this very teacher voice. Nice, but commanding/demanding, requiring I get back to them or they are going to have to mark it as a zero, voice. Which of course makes me just not want to answer them at all. I mean, the little rebel who never was jumps out and yells "NO! and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!"
Grrr....
It is a shame. Teachers should be the most revered people on the planet. And I have a few who I really do hold in very high esteem. But only a few. And I rarely like the grownups that I know who teach. They are so... I don't know. So something. So LISA! You are special, 'cause I like you.

No comments: