Monday, December 22, 2008

Tolkien

I first read the Lord of the Rings trilogy when I was about 12.  I was fascinated by the elves and dwarves and Strider was my first hero.  In fact, Strider was my only hero for a long time, the teen-bot superstars my  friends were swooning over just didn't cut it when compared to the Ranger from the North.  
When the movies first came out, what 8 years ago or so, I wouldn't watch them.  The posters and advertisements were red flags.  What was with the girl?  There was no girl!  Why did the guy in posters look 19?  Strider was NOT 19!  I was so irritated.  My younger sister had gone with her boyfriend and said it was awesome.  She went again with my mom and again said it was awesome.  After her third time seeing the movie she called me and told me I should really just go.  I told her she didn't understand, I would never get over it if they had ruined Strider.
Okay, my apologies to Viggo Mortensen.
I finally did go that Christmas.
I was thrilled.
They got it.  They got Tolkien, they got hobbits and wizards and elves and dwarves and most importantly they hit Strider on the mark.  I was so excited.  Better yet my husband liked it too.  It is now tradition to watch all three every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
This year SAP - Geek learned one of the guys at work hadn't seen the movies.  In fact, the guy was kind of holding out because at this point everybody is asking, how have you NOT seen these movies?  So he has watched movie one and two with us thus far.  
He has told me I am a major geek for being obsessed with this.  Tolkien is geek?  Seriously?  I thought it was English professors, tweed jackets over cardigans and pipes by the fire... that is geek?  This makes me laugh.

1 comment:

Tiff said...

I love those movies to..we have them all on DVD! I did not read the books tho..so I have nothing to compare them to. I hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday season! :)